Friday, March 18, 2011

Me Challenge

I'm currently on Spring Break and finding time for myself has been easier this week than when I'm working full time.  I have been spending every minute I can with my little one and still managing to find some time to do a few things just for Mama.

Every day this week, while my little one napped, I watched reruns of Sex and the City.  Cosmo TV plays two episodes back to back every weekday starting at noon~right at the beginning of Baby's nap.  I've seen these episodes about a dozen times each, practically know the lines by heart but still watch every one as if it were the first time.  Good times!  

And, I bought myself a book.  A non-baby-nothing-about-parenting-or-dealing-with-a-toddler book.  In fact, it's the complete opposite.  There is no mention of babies, parenting, raising a girl or being a mom in this book.  It's the debut novel by Canadian author Catherine McKenzie called Spin.  It's the story of Kate who misses out on her dream job (writing for a music magazine) because she showed up at the interview drunk from a night of partying.  She's not considered for the job but the editor thinks she'd be perfect for their sister publication; a popular gossip magazine.  Kate goes undercover in rehab to get the scoop on the biggest star.




I'm about halfway through and love every bit of it so far.  One of the things I like the most (which is peculiar but oh, so true...) is that the characters have real, believable names like Kate, Amy, Joanne, Amber, Henry...  Not Jezebel, Armenius, Zannah, or Petrov.  I don't know about you, but if the character has an odd or weird name, I can't get in to it.  It's just not credible for me.

It's a mix of pop culture, celebrity fascination and addiction.  Basically, what you'd find on people.com but complete fiction.  In other words, I'm not parked in front of my computer but cuddled up in my bed instead!

Ah, it's all good!

6 comments:

  1. I need to check out that book. I've watched Sex and the City and it is quite introspective and insightful. But I haven't seen as much as you have....maybe one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL... I got to watch plenty of SATC when I was single! Now, not so much but can get a few episodes in thanks to the reruns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before our girls were born, I held myself to reading one book "for fun", but the next one needed to be "more substantial". I still *loosely* try to follow that guideline these days, but there's nothing like a lose-yourself work of fiction to truly get your mind on a different tract for a little while. Sounds like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great book! I haven't read a non-baby book in so long....
    I should get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your book sounds great. I'm hoping to do some good reading tonight and tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to hear that you had a nice spring break. Spin sounds like a nice easy read. I think I'll add it to my book list for this summer!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Let me know... I LOVE reading comments!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.