Saturday, May 28, 2011

Saying Goodbye

Yesterday, our family said goodbye to our beloved pit bull Tassia (aka Miss T).  I brought her to the vet for her annual check-up and in the process, a mass was discovered in her abdomen.  Our vet, who is stellar, recommended x-rays so she could get a better look at what it might be.  The look in her eyes said it wasn't good.  I asked the question any pet owner doesn't want to ask... Is it cancer?

The answer: likely.  Only a biopsy would confirm it but she would have a look at the x-rays as a starting point.  When the x-rays were developed, it showed a rather large mass in her abdomen that was pushing her internal organs out.  Whether it was cancer or not, whatever this "thing" was, it wasn't good.

I knew something was up with Miss T.  She just wasn't herself these past couple of weeks.  She was vomiting a lot and had lost a lot of weight.  Coincidentally, we had changed her food so we thought that's what brought on these changes.  But, she was also acting weird.  She seemed scared, fearful, anxious.  Hubby and I would look at each other and wonder what had sparked this "fear" as there appeared to be nothing around to cause it.  We were quite on edge as we thought perhaps Tassia was sensing a huge tornado, earthquake or storm coming.

I guess in a way she was announcing something.  I sure didn't expect to walk in to the vet's office with a dog and leave alone.  The house feels empty without her.  I keep looking back on her bed to see her snoring away in her pitty way but she's not there.

There's so much I can say about my dog.  But the one thing that will forever remain in my heart is how she brought me back to life at the most difficult time in my life.  When Hubby and I got the news that we couldn't have kids, she was there for me.  She snuggled with me and gave me love.  She made me feel like the mom I wanted to be, even if it was to a furry friend.  She restored my belief in myself and allowed me to find myself again when I was so lost.

I love you Roo-Roo.  You were the BEST pit bull ever.  Run free and sleep all you want on the big couch in heaven.

5 comments:

  1. Tears are streaming down my face for you and your hubby! We lost our beloved furry baby not too long ago and the hurt is still fresh. I am so very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As promised I have a bloggy award awaiting your acceptance over at my blog! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so very sorry for your loss. Our first child was a dog too and we were so sad when we had to say goodbye.
    A proud member of Voice Boks!
    I've Become My Mother
    I've Become My Mother facebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh...I'm so sorry to read this. :(

    I hope you're hanging in. It is so hard to lose a pet.

    xo
    babymama
    aka Susan
    avagracescloset

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how heartbreaking. I am so, so, so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Let me know... I LOVE reading comments!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.