I didn't get a coffee at Starbucks, make myself a treat or go to the spa (although I would have loved all those things!)
This week, I took some time to reflect on my life and my goals. I don't know why I felt so compelled to do this or why it was so prominent in my thoughts. Perhaps it's because the school year is coming to an end and I'll have more time on my hands for the next two months. Maybe it's because we're approaching the half way mark of the year and I feel the need to re-evaluate where I am on my journey. Or it could be because I constantly crave balance in my life and I strive to attain it. Either way, I spent a lot of time thinking about how I'd like the rest of the year to flow.
Number one in my life is being a good mom and companion to Hubby. Neither one of those can be accomplished if I don't do a couple of things for myself. So, after a few moments deep in thought (in the shower and on the way home from work), here's what I have come up with:
- My health has to be a priority. There's no way I can keep up with an exploring, fearless and adventurous toddler if I'm in poor health. She deserves better than that. Therefore, my diet and exercise regime seriously need to be revamped. Initially, I had set a goal to run a 10K before I turn 40 this November. I have let that go. Instead of focusing solely on running, I'm incorporating strength training and yoga into my workout. The reason? A month or so ago, I had run 2K straight without stopping and felt great. Then, Miss B got sick. Then Hubby got sick. I was tired, drained and exhausted. My workout got pushed to the side. I went four weeks without a single workout. I was blown away at how fast the weight I had lost came back on. Aha moment... I need to do weights. Besides, that flab where my triceps used to be needs to fade away... As for my diet, more fruits, veggies and homemade stuff. I love to cook and bake so I'll be doing more of it. (Hubby is likely smiling as he reads this)
- My blog needs organization. I love my blog. Really, I do! When I first started, it was something I did when I felt like it. I wrote a post here, wrote a post there and before I knew it, it got out of hand. At times, it feels like another full time job. There are nights when I put Miss B to bed, walk out of her room and head right in to my office where I work on my computer for hours. When it becomes overwhelming, it's too much. I have figured out a system so that it's not consuming my life on a nightly basis. My goal is to produce three posts a week. They will all be done on one day and I'll publish them throughout the week as needed. This will allow me to properly edit my writing and free up my time. Also, some bloggers run a "Wordless Wednesday" on their site. I'm using this as inspiration to run a "Workless Wednesday" meaning I'm not doing any blog work (or housework for that matter) on Wednesdays. If you see a post dated "Wednesday" on my blog, email me and give me crap. Feel free to be nasty!
- I'm rekindling my passion for interior design. I would love to redecorate my main living space but with a toddler around (and limited finances), it's not the smartest idea. Instead, I'm going to spend some time scouring magazines, websites and decorating blogs for ideas and inspiration. Anything that catches my eye will be noted, documented and collected so that when the time comes to redecorate, I'll have a ton of ideas handy. It will be interesting to see if my taste is still the same in five years!
So, no coffee or treats or pedicure for me but I feel a huge sense of relief that I have manageable goals to take me through the remainder of the year or at least, till September.
Enjoy your ME time and do something just for yourself.

I really love that you focused on your priorities and goals this week. That is so important! This was a great post! :)
ReplyDeleteThis is my favourite type of me time, as you know :)
ReplyDeleteDid you read my post yesterday? Or the day before - I can't remember. Anyway, if you get time, go click that 36 things link on the navigation bar. WHen I updated that thing, it was a fantastic time of review and reflection for me and I loved it.
Let me know if I can help you reach your goals?
Are you going to make a 40 things list this year?
I also need to say bye-bye to the flab on my butt...
I also love times of reflection. I'm a firm believer that when big events happen in our lives, we need to reinvent ourselves. With a baby, this isn't always easy to do. I'm glad it's been on my mind. It's given me a chance to redirect myself.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your feedback ladies!
Love this & I agree it's the best thing we can do for ME time! Taking care of ourselves goes to the wayside when we are busy taking care of everyone else we love! Great post and reminder for all of us!! Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great way to give yourself ME time! I love spending time reflecting on my life and my goals and working out how to balance the two. Often I have far too many ideas and ambitions and I have to stop and really prioritise and I think that is only going to get harder when baby comes. So I think your ME time this week was well spent indeed!! Good Luck with making these changes xx
ReplyDeleteI love this! It's such a great attitude and one that I think not enough moms take on. I hear you about the full time job aspect. I have always done no more than 3 posts a week and that works. 3 quality posts are far better than 6 so-so posts in my opinion!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the new you!
This is great! The days always get so busy with all the things that have to be done, and so often there really isn't any time to sit back and reflect on the goals we have or the things going on in our lives. So, good for you for purposefully making the time!
ReplyDeleteI joined a gym shortly after my guys turned one, because although I was very aware that I still had a good chunk of pregnancy weight to lose, it was also becoming clear that I was just really, really out of shape. I was having trouble getting up off the floor quickly and felt winded after vacuuming the living room! I worked with a trainer for a while, which was a huge help (and thankfully there were some great sales going on), and now I'm mostly taking classes and doing it on my own. I also found last summer that cardio was not enough. I really need the strength training too (plus the healthy eating, of course) to keep the weight off and to continue losing to reach my goal. Good luck to you! It's hard work, but so important!